The National Cybersecurity Center (NCC), today named Mark Weatherford as the organization’s Chief Strategy Officer.
Weatherford has a deep connection to the cyber security world, having been involved with NCC since its inception, supporting its Cyber Education, Space ISAC, Secure the Vote and Secure Smart Cities programs.
“Mark’s resume, reputation and character are impeccable,” said Vance Brown, NCC CEO. “He has incredible cyber security experience and continues to accomplish great things with the government and the private sector, which is a perfect fit for the NCC, since public-private partnerships are such a large part of our mission. Mark has been involved with the NCC from the beginning, so his knowledge of our history and vision moving forward will be unique and very beneficial.”
His extensive cyber security experience includes:
- Founding Partner at Aspen Chartered, where he provides cyber security consulting and advisory services to public and private sector organizations around the world.
- Former Global Information Security Strategist at Booking Holdings
- Chief Cybersecurity Strategist at vArmour
- Principal at The Chertoff Group
- Chief Security Officer at the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
- Chief Information Security Officer for the state of Colorado.
DHS Acting Secretary Wolf recently introduced Weatherford as a new member on the Homeland Security Advisory Council. In 2008, Weatherford was appointed by former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to serve as California’s first Chief Information Security Officer. He was also the first Chief Information Security Officer in the state of Colorado. In 2011, he was appointed as the Department of Homeland Security’s first Deputy Undersecretary for Cybersecurity in the Obama Administration.
A former U.S. Navy Cryptology Officer, Weatherford led the United States Navy’s Computer Network Defense operations and the Naval Computer Incident Response Team (NAVCIRT).
As Chief Strategy Officer for the NCC, Weatherford will work with leadership to develop, communicate and execute strategic initiatives that will continue to push the organization to the forefront of the cyber security world.